Previous Years Non-Filed U.S. Tax Returns Previous Years Non-Filed U.S. Tax Returns | Genesis Tax Consultants, LLC
Genesis Tax Consultants

Previous Years Non-Filed tax returns

Tax help for previous years non-filed u.s. tax returns


Previous Years Non-Filed U.S. Tax Returns


Previous Years Non-filed tax returns

The IRS is Hunting for Non-filers

Using its highly effective computerized Information Returns Program (IRP), the Internal Revenue Service searches for non-filers by matching Forms W-2 and 1099 income returns from payers (the company you worked for or contracted with, your bank, etc.) with your income tax returns you filed.  If the IRP search fails to find a return, the IRS initiates a Taxpayer Delinquency Investigation (TDI) and will eventually file a Substitute for Return (SFR) on your behalf, which will leave you with the highest possible taxable income (i.e. lowest standard deduction, no itemized expenses, no expenses on your 1099-MISC. income, etc.).   The IRS can be years behind catching this so don't ever think you are are home free, once they catch you, and they will, you will be hit with late filing and penalties on top of compounded daily interest.   

Non-Filing May Be a Crime

If someone from the IRS questions you by phone if you filed income tax returns for all years and you answer, "Yes, the IRS must have lost them," you will have lied to the IRS, a crime punishable by up to vie years in prison. But if you answer "no," you may have confessed to the crime of failure to file a tax return. The appropriate response is to say you will get back to them after you check your records or speak with your tax adviser. These words will save you! You are welcome.  Now contact me to see what we can do. 

It's Better to File Before the IRS Contacts You

It's never too late to file your past due returns to get back into compliance.  The IRS has a policy of not criminally prosecuting taxpayers who file their own returns prior to them contacting you (IR-92-114).  The IRS is also more lenient on collecting past due amounts from voluntary filers than from those they catch. When you reach out to the IRS your case will usually be assigned to the IRS campus which is less likely to put pressure on you than if the IRS has sought you out, where your local IRS office will have a Revenue Officer applying more pressure to collect on back due taxes.

What Will Happen When You File Late

It is possible the IRS may impose civil and/or criminal penalties in addition to denying any refunds that may due to you (there is a Statute of Limitations on claiming the refund within 3 years of the return due date or 2 years from the time the tax was paid, whichever of such periods expires the later, or if no return was filed by the taxpayer, within 3 years from the time the tax was paid-26 U.S. Code §6511).  The IRS will hold all income tax refunds in cases where their records show that one or more returns are past due.  They will keep the funds until they receive the return or an acceptable reason for not filing a past due return. 

Filing a Return When You Can't Pay What You Owe

If you owe taxes but don't have the money to pay the full amount, file a return and send what you can.  You can incur up to a 25% fine for the first five months you're late.  Even a partial payment will cut down the penalty and interest owed. 

I can prepare any past tax returns you have and can represent you before the IRS and state if you owe.  Please contact me by email or fill out the form to your right for a quote.



Nicholas Hartney, LLC BBB Business Review

Non-Filed Tax Returns
A willful failure to file a tax return is a misdemeanor if you owe taxes. You can be sentenced for up to a year in jail and a $25,000 fine for each year of non-filing (Internal Revenue Code §7201). Please fill out this form for a quote on how much it will be to have your unfiled returns prepared and how much to represent you if you owe back taxes.
Name *
Checkbox *
Check on each year you have a non-filed tax return if you have earlier years than shown, please write in the message field the last year you filed.
What do you believe the tax (not including penalty and interest) owed is for all years of non-filed tax returns:

Click on image to verify professional license in the IRS Preparer Directory  Search: Country: Germany | Zip: 65812 | Last Name: Hartney

Click on image to verify professional license in the IRS Preparer Directory

Search: Country: Germany | Zip: 65812 | Last Name: Hartney

➤ locations served

Available for all taxpayers in every state and all Expatriates living abroad. 

and tell me about your situation. 

Areas of Practice

expat tax preparation 

Foreign earned income and housing exclusions for both federal and state income tax returns. Foreign bank account reporting (FBARs), Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets, Tax Treaties, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number,etc.

business tax debt representation 

We will file a power of attorney with the IRS and State Taxing Authority to negotiate a hold on all enforcement action such as bank and account receivable levies while we work on an appropriate resolution including Installment Agreements, Company Restructuring, Penalty Abatements, Offer in Compromises, and Currently Not Collectible Status.  We will also advise you if bankruptcy is an option. 

irs and state tax debt representation 

We will file a power of attorney with the IRS and State Taxing Authorities to negotiate an appropriate resolution for back tax debt including Installment Agreements, Penalty Abatements, Offer in Compromises, Innocent Spouse Requests, and Currently Not Collectible Status.  We will also advise you if bankruptcy is a option. 

new business entity formation 

We will educate you of the pros and cons of organizing an Limited Liability Company versus a Corporation, S-Corp., Limited Partnership, etc. and assist in the formation of the entity of your choosing.   

previous years tax returns

We will prepare your previous years tax returns to bring you back into compliance with the IRS and State. 

business tax return preparation 

Whether you have a sole proprietorship with a Schedule C or a 1120 Corporate return we will prepare any business return.  


The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax.
— Albert Einstein, physicist


Let's Chat

Use the form below to contact us regarding your legal enquiry. Please be as detailed as possible. Include your industry along with any specific document requests. To help us best service your enquiry, we recommend that you first describe the issue you’re having before telling us what you want to achieve. You may also email or call us to make an appointment.

For job opportunities, please email us your resume. We’re always looking for new and exceptional talent to lead the firm into uncharted fields of practice.

Name *
Please do not include confidential or sensitive information in your message. In the event that we are representing a party with opposing interests to your own, we may have a duty to disclose any information you provide to our client.
Confirm You Are a Person *